Antonym: aggressive, offensive. Similar words: offensive, defense, extensive, comprehensive, defender, defendant, sensitive, offense. Meaning: [-sɪv] n. an attitude of defensiveness (especially in the phrase `on the defensive'). adj. 1. intended or appropriate for defending against or deterring aggression or attack 2. attempting to justify or defend in speech or writing 3. serving as or appropriate for defending or protecting.
Random good picture Not show
1. The defensive team nearly equipoised the offensive team.
2. These are purely defensive measures.
3. The Government hastily organized defensive measures against the raids.
4. Magnus's army was gradually pushed back into a defensive circle.
5. The two parties entered into a defensive alliance with each other to win the election.
6. Troops are taking up a defensive position around the town.
7. Try to put more energy into your defensive game.
8. Talk about boy-friends always puts her on the defensive.
9. He's currently the best defensive player on the team.
10. Don't get defensive[Sentencedict], Charlie. I was only joking.
11. Our troops battered down the enemy defensive works.
12. The troops dug in along the defensive line.
13. A defensive lapse by Keown allowed Tottenham to score.
14. The Romans built a defensive wall around the city.
15. The government said the moves were purely defensive.
16. The enemy troops are put on the defensive.
17. We took a defensive attitude in the negotiation.
18. The merest hint of criticism makes him defensive.
19. He is extremely defensive about his work.
20. These are purely defensive weapons, not designed for attack.
21. She's very defensive about her part in the affair.
22. Whenever anyone mentions women's rights, he gets rather defensive.
23. Don't ask him about his plans-he just gets defensive.
24. The team's defensive errors were down to inexperience.
25. She despised herself for sounding so defensive.
26. In his presence, she was constantly on the defensive.
27. He kept on about me being "defensive".
28. Like their children, parents are often defensive about their private lives.
29. When asked to explain her behaviour, she gave a very defensive answer.
30. The prince drew up his forces in a strong defensive position.
More similar words: offensive, defense, extensive, comprehensive, defender, defendant, sensitive, offense, massive, tension, pension, density, exclusive, excessive, extension, dimension, intensity, aggressive, impressive, dimensions, progressive, exclusively, sensitivity, comprehension, comprehensible, refer, fence, offender, define, reference.