Synonym: animated, dynamic, energetic, lively, spirited, vivacious, working. Antonym: dormant, inactive, passive. Similar words: actively, attractive, active transport, activist, activity, detective, objective, perspective. Meaning: ['æktɪv] n. 1. chemical agent capable of activity 2. the voice used to indicate that the grammatical subject of the verb is performing the action or causing the happening denoted by the verb 3. a person devoted to the active life. adj. 1. tending to become more severe or wider in scope 2. engaged in or ready for military or naval operations 3. disposed to take action or effectuate change 4. taking part in an activity 5. characterized by energetic activity 6. exerting influence or producing a change or effect 7. full of activity or engaged in continuous activity 8. in operation 9. of the sun; characterized by a high level activity in sunspots and flares and radio emissions 10. expressing that the subject of the sentence has the semantic function of actor: "Hemingway favors active constructions" 11. expressing action rather than a state of being; used of verbs (e.g. `to run') and participial adjectives (e.g. `running' in `running water') 12. (of e.g. volcanos) capable of erupting 13. (of e.g. volcanos) erupting or liable to erupt 14. engaged in full-time work.
Random good picture Not show
1. In April 1944 he was killed on active service.
2. She was active in local politics for many years.
3. She's over 80, but is still very active.
4. Powell was declared unfit for active service.
5. The market is very active.
6. Try to keep active in the cold weather.
7. Women were becoming more politically active.
8. He was active in organizing student meetings.
9. The only active ingredient in this medicine is aspirin.
10. Although he's quite old he's still very active.
11. Although he's nearly 80, he is still very active.
12. She's very active, considering her age.
13. She is an active girl.
14. Joe is very active in left-wing politics.
15. Positive active mind essential.
16. She is very active.
17. Like inquiry can be active thinking, like exercise can improve physique, like mountain forest can recover one's original simplicity, love alone can study hard, like wind builds muscles.
18. She was an active trade unionist and had been elected a shop steward.
19. The Church and the laity were increasingly active in charity work.
20. You've got to try to keep active as you grow older.
20. Wish you can benefit from our online sentence dictionary and make progress every day!
21. Scientists have discovered that most of the active volcanoes in the world are located in a T-shaped area.
22. Generally speaking, boys like active sports more than girls do.
23. Active long will be very tired, care about for a long time will crash!
24. His daughter was very active and noisy in the mornings.
25. I had an active social life when I was at college.
26. She was active in the Society for Women's Suffrage.
27. Archbishop Hunt-hausen also vocalized his beliefs that women and homosexuals should be more active in the church.
28. In spite of his age, he still leads an active life.
29. Occasional bursts of gunfire are a reminder that the rebels are still active.
30. Before our modern age, people had a more physical and active lifestyle.
More similar words: actively, attractive, active transport, activist, activity, detective, objective, perspective, distinctive, protective, productive, collective, effectively, respectively, effectiveness, irrespective of, tactic, action, motive, native, fraction, practice, reaction, relative, incentive, practical, sensitive, supportive, executive, narrative.