Synonym: incumbency, land tenure, term of office. Similar words: penury, penurious, tenuous, attenuate, nurse, menu, avenue, revenue. Meaning: ['te‚njə(r)] n. 1. the term during which some position is held 2. the right to hold property; part of an ancient hierarchical system of holding lands. v. give life-time employment to.
Random good picture Not show
1. She had a long tenure of office.
2. It's becoming increasingly difficult to acquire academic tenure .
3. He holds his life on a happy tenure.
4. During his tenure as dean, he had a real influence on the students.
5. He remained popular throughout his tenure of the office of mayor.
6. He achieved a lot during his short tenure.
7. The company has doubled in value during his tenure.
8. The tenants have security of tenure.
9. He has recently been refused tenure.
10. She has been granted tenure at Leeds University.
11. The tenure of the US Presidency is four years.
12. It's still extremely difficult to get tenure.
13. Lack of security of tenure was a reason for many families becoming homeless.
14. She knew that tenure of high political office was beyond her.
15. Their life tenure means they defy patronage.
16. Tien has suffered budget cuts throughout his six-year tenure.
17. However, she was not automatically entitled to tenure status.
18. Under Richardson's tenure as commander, the Navy grew dramatically.
19. The conversion came during the tenure of Capt.
20. The security of tenure of corporation executives is remarkably high.
21. The development is mixed tenure including affordable housing, a village school,(http://sentencedict.com) a village green and a community centre.
22. Sadly, his tenure has been characterised, too, by an affront to the House and to our democracy.
23. She is one of the few lecturers in this department who has tenure.
24. When you rent a house here, you don't have security of tenure.
25. They may be better placed financially than many tenants, but their security of tenure can end with retirement.
26. Bush says he's confident that no innocent person has been put to death during his tenure.
27. Deputies also voted to ratify the appointment of acting President Shehabuddin Ahmed and all actions executed during his tenure.
28. Outside board members also would be required to own at least 1, 000 Nynex shares during their board tenure.
29. Essentially, this statutory protection gives a business tenant security of tenure.
30. However, there may be cases where the landlord requires that the tenant should not acquire security of tenure.