Antonym: luxury. Similar words: penurious, nurse, bury, jury, injury, century, menu, revenue. Meaning: ['penjərɪ /-jʊr-] n. a state of extreme poverty or destitution.
Random good picture Not show
1. Hardship and penury wore him out before his time.
2. They were reduced to penury.
3. He was brought up in penury, without education.
4. He died in penury in 1644.sentencedict.com/penury.html
5. He died in penury.
6. The show went into penury, I think.
7. Then, to add insult to penury, the bond market exploded.
8. But penury, though exasperating enough, was not the whole of his distress.
9. Because of his claimed penury, Mr Hamilton has abandoned plans to contest the libel verdict.
10. The family lived in penury.
11. He was cradled in the lap of penury.
12. Peoples in Africa are living in penury.
13. How can we quit penury?
14. Laid - off workers fall into penury.
15. He who sows misery, reaps but penury!
16. He was talking about the embarrassment penury - and advocating higher salaries for MPs.
17. Mr Thomas was born in penury and grew up with bare feet and intestinal worms.
18. A succession of bad harvest had reduced the small farmer to penury.
19. From the comparative opulence of 17-6 they then slipped into penury by conceding 18 unanswered points.
20. As long as they had their beloved stock market, they seemed not to mind their relative penury.
21. While the rich could flaunt their wealth the numerous urban poor lived in a state of penury.
22. It transforms a state of wealth into a state of penury.
23. If any doctor had depended on us for his living, then he would have died in penury.
24. In all labour there is profit : but the talk of the lips tendeth only to penury.
25. First of all, raising the price only can limited many persons living in penury.
26. However, in latter-day China, poverty of the country and penury of its people, and lack of communal awareness of the society became the key restrictive factors of the donative effects.
27. This is my prayer to thee, my lord---strike, strike at the root of penury in my heart.
28. A succession of bad harvests had reduced the small farmers to penury.
29. Give me the strength to strike at the root of penury in my heart.
30. When his pension fund failed, George feared he would end his days in penury.