Synonym: augur, auspicate, betoken, bode, forecast, foreshadow, foretell, omen, predict, prefigure, presage, prognosticate. Similar words: reporter, supporter, shorten, reportedly, shortened, vortex, aborted, port. Meaning: [pɔr'tend /pɔː'tend] v. indicate by signs.
Random good picture Not show
1. The change did not portend a basic improvement in social conditions.
2. Rising infection rates portend a health-care disaster.
3. What universal debauchery this might portend for our nation!
4. What is the greatest danger that this may portend?
5. It might portend something more: the beginning of an ideological countertrend.
6. For the cellular industry, this may portend a daunting new world.
7. Nature seems to portend no danger and is there to be utilised by Marlowe and his lover almost as a playground.
8. Swallows flying low portend rain.
9. Black clouds portend a storm.http://sentencedict.com/portend.html
10. What do these strange events portend?
11. What does all this portend?
12. These clouds are ominous. They portend a severe storm.
13. What may they portend for the future?
14. What does the rise of libertarianism portend for the future of the US?
15. Not, perhaps,[sentencedict.com] a great portend for a new generation of robots.
16. Overcast skies portend a rough day for boats on Iceland's Lake Myvatn.
17. Posterior multifragmentation of the femoral neck: Does it portend a poor outcome in internally fixed intracapsular hip fractures?
18. Less emphasis on mortgage payments portend higher delinquency rates and perhaps even more foreclosures.
19. They may or may not portend a collapse of civilization.
20. A phenomenon supposed to portend good or evil; a prophetic sign.
21. It was a deeply superstitious country, where earthquakes were commonly believed to portend the end of dynasties.
22. For thousands of years, this strange sight has frightened millions, and has been thought to portend evil or calamitous events.
23. I commissioned him to read the questionnaire results and comment on what they portend.
24. She sees a shooting star and is heartened by whatever hope it might portend, but before long she is crying again.
25. Slowing commercial construction, flat housing markets and lackluster remodeling activity portend tougher business for moulding and millwork manufacturers.
26. However, some fear that recent surveys showing a drop in the perceived danger of inhalant use among teens may portend an increase in use.
27. More troubling, she said, is what Google's flub may portend for the future.
More similar words: reporter, supporter, shorten, reportedly, shortened, vortex, aborted, port, import, export, report, support, deport, post mortem, postmortem, inadvertent, portion, airport, portray, kindergarten, portrait, passport, report on, inadvertently, intend, extend, attend, tender, supportive, important.