Synonym: aggressive, antagonistic, belligerent, bitter, militant, unfavorable, unfriendly. Antonym: amiable, favorable, friendly. Similar words: host, tile, ghost, hostage, still, whose, those, until. Meaning: ['hɑstl /'hɒstaɪl] n. troops belonging to the enemy's military forces. adj. 1. characterized by enmity or ill will 2. not belonging to your own country's forces or those of an ally 3. very unfriendly 4. impossible to bring into friendly accord 5. very unfavorable to life or growth 6. marked by features that oppose constructive treatment or development 7. unsolicited and resisted by the management of the target company ( used of attempts to buy or take control of a business).
Random good picture Not show
1. Their hostile looks showed that he was unwelcome.
2. The experience has made him generally hostile towards women.
3. She found his manner towards her distinctly hostile.
4. She was openly hostile towards her parents.
5. They have hostile sentiments towards us.
6. The leadership voted to purge the party of "hostile and anti-party elements".
7. The President had a hostile reception in Ohio this morning.
8. I have no idea why he is hostile to me.
9. Southampton fans gave their former coach a hostile reception .
10. They faced some hostile questioning over the cost of the project.
11. The speaker got a very hostile reception from the audience.
12. Many people felt he would be hostile to the idea of foreign intervention.
13. The boy feels hostile towards his father.
14. He may construe the approach as a hostile act.
15. Granada mounted a hostile takeover bid for Forte.
16. His ideas met with a hostile reception.
17. This is a hostile territory.
18. Her speech evoked a hostile response.
19. He was disheartened by their hostile reaction.
20. His strength did not avail against the hostile onslaught.
21. The talk was virulently hostile to the leadership.
22. Hostile critics have given Hartman a hard time.
23. The city is encircled by a hostile army.
24. He prevented a hostile takeover of the company.
25. The group chairman faced hostile questioning from angry shareholders.
26. She could sense the hostile atmosphere in the room.
27. The prevailing mood of public opinion remained hostile.
28. The reaction to his frankness was hostile.
29. The audience gave him a downright hostile reception.
30. As a controversial public figure he has breasted much hostile criticism.