Synonym: accent, accentuate, emphasise, punctuate, stress, underline, underscore. Similar words: emphasis, size up, phase, elephant, temple, employ, empire, preempt. Meaning: ['emfəsaɪz] v. 1. to stress, single out as important 2. give extra weight to (a communication).
Random good picture Not show
1. You can use italics or capitals to emphasize a word in a piece of writing.
2. I must emphasize the fact that she is only a little girl.
3. We cannot emphasize the importance of protecting our eyes too much.
4. It is important to emphasize this point.
5. Which word should I emphasize?
6. He flourished the glass to emphasize the point.
7. All the arguments and counter-arguments serve to emphasize the controversy surrounding this disease.
8. Economists emphasize measurable quantities — the number of jobs, the per capita income.
9. Newspapers vary in the degree to which they emphasize propaganda rather than information.
10. I must emphasize that this is only a summary, and the full report will not be available until next week.
11. I must emphasize the fact that they are only children.
12. Tight jeans will only emphasize any extra weight that you are carrying.
13. The story was used to emphasize the humanity of Jesus.
14. Manufacturers now choose to emphasize the naturalness of the ingredients used in their products.
15. I tried to emphasize my good points without sounding boastful.
16. I have been at pains to emphasize the positive aspects of discipline.
17. He banged his fist on the table to emphasize his argument.
18. Aye, sculpted in whitest alabaster to emphasize his purity.
19. I would emphasize the word partial.
20. Both approaches, too, emphasize the importance of teacher assessment.
21. It may be used to emphasize your key points.
22. A nurturing environment where people emphasize growth and development.
23. Centex salespeople are taught to emphasize how easy the system is to operate.
24. Instructions to the group should emphasize that the criteria should define the essential elements or the key indicators of exemplary nutrition care.
25. It would emphasize learning in the context of work-not just work experience.
26. for Christ's, God's, goodness', heaven's, pity's, etc. sake used to emphasize that it is important to do sth or when you are annoyed about sth: Do be careful, for goodness' sake.
27. She swept her hair back from her face to emphasize her high cheekbones.
27. Sentencedict.com try its best to gather and make good sentences.
28. I think your letter is under that book. Underneath can also be used when you want to emphasize that something is being covered or hidden by another thing:Have you looked underneath the sofa as well as behind it? You can also use beneath in this sense, but it is a very formal or literary word.
29. She stabbed at the air with her finger to emphasize what she was saying.
30. a male secretary/nurse/model or a woman/female doctor/barrister/driver. However this is now not usually used unless you need to emphasize which sex the person is, or it is still unusual for the job to be done by a man/woman:My daughter prefers to see a woman doctor.