Synonym: argument, brush, clash, conflict, encounter, engagement, melee, scuffle, struggle. Similar words: skirt, outskirt, outskirts, miniskirt, infirmity, surmise, near miss, permission. Meaning: ['skɜrmɪʃ /'skɜː-] n. a minor short-term fight. v. engage in a skirmish.
Random good picture Not show
1. The young soldier was killed in a skirmish with government troops.
2. They were involved in a skirmish with rival fans.
3. He was killed in a border skirmish.
4. There was a short skirmish between the political party leaders when the government announced it was to raise taxes.
5. Bates was sent off after a skirmish with the referee.
6. There had been a skirmish in the half light of dawn.
7. Rival fans were involved in a skirmish in Kilburn High Road when windows and the interior of a pub were damaged.
8. They waged a battle, and we waged a skirmish, and they won.
9. Three men died in a skirmish with armored personnel carriers.
10. They might well prevail in any skirmish with the local forces, but in the circumstances that would be of little profit.
11. The drug war is a skirmish, the leftist gangs an irritant.
12. My first little skirmish took place over a film,[Sentencedict.com] one about rape.
13. But what began in May 1998 as a skirmish over a remote stretch of border exposed a deep reservoir of bitterness.
14. He did not hesitate to skirmish with the Confederates now, for his position was a strong one.
15. This was the first tiny skirmish in what was to be a major battle.
16. Its skirmish with the regulators, however, is just one of the Board of Trade's problems these days.
17. In the ensuing skirmish, bullets struck Richard Baxter's door and windows until midnight when the fighting stopped.
18. The skirmish grew into a major battle.
19. He was shot in a skirmish with the enemy.
20. Everybody but Toby enters into this skirmish.
21. The skirmish between the Palestine liberation organization and Israel.
22. A minor skirmish ensued as people fought over supplies.
23. A conventional skirmish would escalate into a nuclear exchange.
24. This skirmish sparked a major battle.
25. Government soldiers ran into a group of rebels(sentencedict.com), and a skirmish followed.
26. He had finished fourth in the opening race after a skirmish with Aussie Anthony Gobert.
27. He talks of regrouping like a colonel after a skirmish at Yellow Tavern.
28. Not a bad game in the circumstances but just a preliminary skirmish in World Cup terms.
29. They meet the enemy in a fire fight, a fair skirmish.
30. A day before the event in Niagara Falls, Semaphore lost a last-ditch skirmish in court.