Synonym: chess opening, curtain raising, first step, gap, hatchway, initiative, opening move, opening night, orifice, porta, possibility, possible action, scuttle. Similar words: screening, open, openly, in the open, dining, raining, warning, morning. Meaning: ['əʊpənɪŋ] n. 1. an open or empty space in or between things 2. a ceremony accompanying the start of some enterprise 3. becoming open or being made open 4. the first performance (as of a theatrical production) 5. the act of opening something 6. opportunity especially for employment or promotion 7. the initial part of the introduction 8. a possible alternative 9. an aperture or hole that opens into a bodily cavity 10. a vacant or unobstructed space that is man-made 11. an entrance equipped with a hatch; especially a passageway between decks of a ship 12. a recognized sequence of moves at the beginning of a game of chess 13. the first of a series of actions. adj. first or beginning.
Random good picture Not show
1. We were obligated to attend the opening ceremony.
2. Her opening words were dramatic.
3. Her clever opening gambit gave her an early advantage.
4. Rex soon became an expert at opening the gate.
5. Our local shop has very convenient opening hours.
6. Many attended the opening of the new sports centre.
7. We bled off the carradiator by opening a valve.
8. The ceremonial opening of Parliament was a fine spectacle.
9. When was the opening ceremony?
10. The theatre was packed for the opening night.
11. The conference might reconvene after its opening session.
12. Would you mind opening the window?
13. Could you oblige me by opening the window?
14. Opening a new school will increase parental choice.
14. Sentencedict.com is a online sentence dictionary, on which you can find nice sentences for a large number of words.
15. We ventilate a room by opening windows.
16. Shoppers began arriving long before the 10am opening time.
17. Fresh orange juice should be refrigerated after opening and drunk within three days.
18. The opening of the new swimming pool has been set back by a few weeks.
19. We revved up rehearsals for the opening of the play.
20. The opening speech was by Bob Alan representing Amnesty International.
21. Disconnect the power source from the computer before opening the back.
22. And now myriads of bars and hotels are opening up along the coast.
23. The audience was / were enthusiastic on the opening night of the play.
24. Miss Helen appeared a few minutes before the opening of the party.
25. There's a new Italian restaurant opening on the high street.
26. The opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympic Games is coming.
27. Our headmaster rattled on for at least two hours at the opening ceremony.
28. The cattle got out of the field through an opening in the fence.
29. Webster has not played since suffering a hamstring injury in the opening game.
30. Scientists, business people, and sundry others gathered on Monday for the official opening.
More similar words: screening, open, openly, in the open, dining, raining, warning, morning, burning, spending, earnings, training, planning, operating, depending, lightning, examining, remaining, retaining, concerning, meaningful, early warning, at the beginning, at the beginning of, even if, senior, denial, lenient, convenience, spend.