Synonym: asylum, creation, establishment, foundation, founding, initiation, innovation, insane asylum, instauration, introduction, mental home, mental hospital, mental institution, origination, psychiatric hospital. Similar words: institutional, constitution, constitutional, constitute, installation, instruction, instructional, instinct. Meaning: [‚ɪnstɪ'tuːʃn /-'tju-] n. 1. an organization founded and united for a specific purpose 2. an establishment consisting of a building or complex of buildings where an organization for the promotion of some cause is situated 3. a custom that for a long time has been an important feature of some group or society 4. the act of starting something for the first time; introducing something new 5. a hospital for mentally incompetent or unbalanced person.
Random good picture Not show
1. Marriage became an institution in ancient societies.
2. Giving presents on Christmas is an institution.
3. Marriage is a sacred institution.
4. The scandal threatened to undermine the institution of the Presidency.
5. Parliament remains the central institution of the constitution of the United Kingdom.
6. The institution of slavery was once widespread.
7. The woman will be confined to a mental institution.
8. Bernard works at the same institution as Arlette.
9. Fish and chips became a national institution in Britain.
10. May Day has become a venerable institution.
11. Does this institution have any redeeming features?
12. He had defended the institution of a celibate priesthood.
13. Institution of such schools was geared to these needs.
14. You must know him-he's an institution around here!
15. Fish and chips have become a British institution.
16. I believe in the institution of marriage.
17. Congress as an institution scores low in public opinion polls.
18. The institution of a Freedom of Information Act has had a significant effect.
19. The European Parliament is not an institution which excites interest in voters.
20. This degree programme is fully accredited by the Institution of Electrical Engineers.
21. My uncle has become quite an institution at the club!
22. Larry has been in an institution since he was four.Sentencedict
23. Life itself, without the assistance of colleges and universities,(sentencedict.com) is becoming an advanced institution of learning.
24. The Hong Kong Bank is Hong Kong's largest financial institution.
25. The British pub isn't just somewhere to drink - it's an institution.
26. We're searching for a couple of runaways from the young offenders' institution.
27. Drinking tea at 4 pm is a popular British institution.
28. That old man in the park is a regular institution.
29. They were sentenced to 12 months' detention in a young offender institution.
30. And may I make so bold as to ask what institution sponsored your husband's expedition?
More similar words: institutional, constitution, constitutional, constitute, installation, instruction, instructional, instinct, situation, practitioner, evolution, pollution, execution, resolution, question, distribution, prosecution, contribution, inspection, in question, revolutionary, construction, suggestion, distinction, demonstration, questionnaire, out of the question, investigation, beyond question, prestidigitation.