Synonym: generally, more often than not, mostly. Similar words: large, largely, at large, on a large scale, a large number of, by and by, by any means, target. Meaning: adv. usually; as a rule.
Random good picture Not show
1. They were, by and large, a very wealthy, privileged elite.
2. Charities, by and large, do not pay tax.
3. By and large, I enjoyed my time at school.
4. By and large, these people are peace-loving, law-abiding citizens.
5. By and large, the new arrangements have worked well.
6. The North, by and large, has fared better than most regions in avoiding high unemployment figures.
7. By and large the Poles and Germans of the city had shown that they could rub along together.
8. I tend to think that members of parliament by and large do a good job.
8. Sentencedict.com is a sentence dictionary, on which you can find nice sentences for a large number of words.
9. By and large, the company's been pretty good to me.
10. By and large, women can bear pain better than men.
11. By and large, the papers greet the government's new policy document with a certain amount of scepticism.
12. By and large, they are quantitative measures, not qualitative.
13. By and large, children love to be read to.
14. By and large, they viewed themselves as pure researchers.
15. Also, he worked, by and large, in second-rank bands.
16. Society seems bitter turmoil, by and large.
17. You know, opposites of each other by and large.
18. The rich were, by and large, country gentlemen.
19. And by and large, they do a fine job.
20. By and large he kept them averted.
21. The solo singing is by and large excellent.
22. By and large, the academic community seems content simply to accommodate to the instrumental needs of post-industrial society.
23. By and large the Nonconformist churches supported the war, destroying themselves as a significant political force in the process.
24. In contrast, the printers are by and large entry level devices.
25. Inflation targeting will not work as expectations are by and large adaptive rather than rational in the sense that many monetarists claim.
26. Unit-linked policies by and large have performed fairly well over the last few years and have consequently been growing in popularity.
27. Anyway, he pointed out, by and large Hindus have a sense of humour.
28. There are a few small things that I don't like about my job, but by and large it's very enjoyable.
29. Research which has attempted to untangle these issues has not, by and large, employed sufficiently sophisticated methods to clarify the picture.
30. But readers may be attracted by the line-up of vocal soloists and, by and large, they will not be disappointed.
More similar words: large, largely, at large, on a large scale, a large number of, by and by, by any means, target, in charge of, take charge, friendly, a bundle of, by air, hardly any, by all means, by accident, flamboyant, day and night, cargo, urge, margin, emerge, surgery, surgeon, forget about, discharging, emergency, solar, salary, declare.