Synonym: behave, do, law, perform, pretend. Similar words: fact, pact, exact, actor, react, tract, enact, act for. Meaning: [ækt] n. 1. a legal document codifying the result of deliberations of a committee or society or legislative body 2. something that people do or cause to happen 3. a subdivision of a play or opera or ballet 4. a short theatrical performance that is part of a longer program 5. a manifestation of insincerity. v. 1. perform an action, or work out or perform (an action) 2. behave in a certain manner; show a certain behavior; conduct or comport oneself 3. play a role or part 4. discharge one's duties 5. pretend to have certain qualities or state of mind 6. be suitable for theatrical performance 7. have an effect or outcome; often the one desired or expected 8. be engaged in an activity, often for no particular purpose other than pleasure 9. behave unnaturally or affectedly 10. perform on a stage or theater.
Random good picture Not show
3) The Christian ceremony of baptism is a symbolic act.
4) The act was barely justified by the circumstances.
5) I shall act as you advise.
6) Robbery is a criminal act.
7) Politicians across the political spectrum have denounced the act.
8) He was nabbed in the act of stealing.
9) The thief was nobbled in the act.
10) Think things through before you act.
11) Juliet dies in Act IV, Scene iii.
12) Heaven never helps the man who will not act.
13) It is not the act of a gentleman.
14) Did the BBC act reasonably in sacking the journalist?
15) This contravenes the Race Relations Act.
16) Lash the scenery up ready for the next act.
17) Can an act that causes death ever be lawful?
18) The Act imposes more stringent regulations on atmospheric pollution.
19) The murder was the act of a psychopath.
20) Achim had choreographed the dance in Act II himself.
21) The car's engine is beginning to act up.
22) Act enthusiastic and you will be enthusiastic.
23) Let's all get together and act as one.
24) Despite vehement opposition, the Act became law.
25) Why can't you two act like civilized adults?
26) I despair of you,[http://sentencedict.com/act.html] Ian — act your age!
27) He agreed to act as treasurer.
28) Will you act as interpreter for us?
29) Don't act like you're better than I am.