Synonym: fall back, retire, reverse, withdraw. Antonym: advance. Similar words: get ready, treaty, entreat, treatment, stretch, stretch out, stream, streak. Meaning: [rɪ'trɪːt] n. 1. (military) withdrawal of troops to a more favorable position to escape the enemy's superior forces or after a defeat 2. a place of privacy; a place affording peace and quiet 3. (military) a signal to begin a withdrawal from a dangerous position 4. (military) a bugle call signaling the lowering of the flag at sunset 5. an area where you can be alone 6. withdrawal for prayer and study and meditation. v. 1. pull back or move away or backward 2. move away, as for privacy 3. move back 4. make a retreat from an earlier commitment or activity.
Random good picture Not show
2. Knowledge is a comfortable and necessary retreat and shelter for us in an advanced age; and if we do not plant it when young, it will give us no shade when we grow old.
3. The enemy was / were forced to retreat.
4. I made a tactful retreat before they started arguing.
5. Our soldiers force the enemy to retreat.
6. The army beat a hasty retreat.
7. They knew when to attack and when to retreat.
8. The enemy was forced to retreat from the city.
9. He issued the command to retreat.
9. Sentencedict.com is a online sentence dictionary, on which you can find good sentences for a large number of words.
10. I decided to beat a hasty retreat.
11. We covered his retreat with bursts of gunfire.
12. Attacks by enemy aircraft forced the tanks to retreat .
13. Retreat into acute fast.
14. Housework is negatively valued as a retreat from a disliked alternative — employment work.
15. The defeated army had to retreat hastily from the field of battle.
16. The army was forced to retreat after suffering heavy losses.
17. After several reverses the enemy was forced to retreat.
18. We went on retreat at/to a monastery in Wales.
19. They were attacked and forced to retreat.
20. You cannot retreat from your responsibility in this affair.
21. They cut off the enemy's retreat.
22. The enemy was now in retreat.
23. Spicer beat a hasty retreat when he spotted me.
24. Eventually the police forced the crowd into retreat.
25. They were forced to retreat back over the frontier.
26. Enemy soldiers are now in retreat.
27. The French, suddenly outnumbered[sentencedict.com], were forced to retreat.
28. They say they will stay to rebuild their homes rather than retreat to refugee camps.
29. In military parlance this is known as a fast retreat.
30. To learn to be just and constant, not just is sui Hui, not constant retreat.
More similar words: get ready, treaty, entreat, treatment, stretch, stretch out, stream, streak, great, contretemps, threat, create, greatly, threaten, creating, creature, mainstream, breathing, out of breath, get rid of, come true, metropolitan, active transport, tree, trend, eat, stress, street, neat, retail.