Synonym: elevate, hoist, pick up, raise. Antonym: lower. Similar words: shift, fifth, drift, fifty, gifted, life, fifteen, cliff. Meaning: [lɪft] n. 1. the act of giving temporary assistance 2. the component of the aerodynamic forces acting on an airfoil that opposes gravity 3. the event of something being raised upward 4. a wave that lifts the surface of the water or ground 5. a powered conveyance that carries skiers up a hill 6. a device worn in a shoe or boot to make the wearer look taller or to correct a shortened leg 7. one of the layers forming the heel of a shoe or boot 8. lifting device consisting of a platform or cage that is raised and lowered mechanically in a vertical shaft in order to move people from one floor to another in a building 9. plastic surgery to remove wrinkles and other signs of aging from your face; an incision is made near the hair line and skin is pulled back and excess tissue is excised 10. transportation of people or goods by air (especially when other means of access are unavailable) 11. a ride in a car 12. the act of raising something. v. 1. raise from a lower to a higher position 2. take hold of something and move it to a different location 3. move upwards 4. move upward 5. make audible 6. annul by recalling or rescinding 7. make off with belongings of others 8. raise or haul up with or as if with mechanical help 9. invigorate or heighten 10. raise in rank or condition 11. take off or away by decreasing 12. rise up 13. pay off (a mortgage) 14. take without referencing from someone else's writing or speech; of intellectual property 15. take illegally 16. fly people or goods to or from places not accessible by other means 17. take (root crops) out of the ground 18. call to stop the hunt or to retire, as of hunting dogs 19. rise upward, as from pressure or moisture 20. put an end to 21. remove (hair) by scalping 22. remove from a seedbed or from a nursery 23. remove from a surface 24. perform cosmetic surgery on someone's face.
Random good picture Not show
2. She gripped the hand rail in the lift.
3. She offered him a lift and he accepted .
4. He's strong enough to lift a car!
5. This window will not lift.
6. Many allies are pushing to lift the embargo.
7. First we have to lift the level of instruction.
8. I haven't the strength to lift this table.
9. Come and help me lift this box.
10. Please give me a lift onto the saddle.
11. Can a child lift such a weight?
12. A fire broke out in the main lift shaft.
13. To open the gate, lift up the latch.
14. He is strong enough to lift that rock.
15. Could I cadge a lift with you?
16. Can you give me a lift?
17. Take the lift to the fifth floor.
18. It required superhuman effort to lift the huge boulder.
19. Can I cadge a lift home?
20. Lift me up, mummy I can't see.
21. Could you help me lift this table, please?
22. Can I hitch a lift with you as far as the station?
23. He couldn't lift the table and no more could I.sentencedict.com
24. I can't lift this box — will you help me please?
25. The rocket is due to lift off at noon on Friday.
26. Striking lorry drivers agreed to lift their blockades of main roads.
27. It's difficult to lift off the cover of the box.
28. Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when your wings have trouble remembering how to fly.
29. Many cars and trucks rolled by, but no one gave us a lift.
30. It was pouring with rain so I accepted his offer of a lift.