Synonym: later, former. Similar words: matter, scatter, battery, pattern, no matter, a matter of, as a matter of fact, attend. Meaning: ['lætə(r)] n. the second of two or the second mentioned of two. adj. referring to the second of two things or persons mentioned (or the last one or ones of several).
Random good picture Not show
1. Did he walk or swim? The latter seems unlikely.
2. Of the two choices, I prefer the latter.
3. He'll go to school in the latter part of the year.
4. He tracked down his cousin and uncle. The latter was sick.
5. In his latter years religious mania clouded his mind.
6. The latter part of the debate concentrated on abortion.
7. The latter point is the most important.
8. I would unhesitatingly choose the latter option.
9. He presented two solutions. The latter seems much better.
10. Celebrations are planned for the latter part of November.
11. This latter point is of great importance.
12. In the latter case, buyers pay a 15% commission.
13. Of the two the latter is far better than the former.
14. He had to pinch-hit for John when the latter was ill.
15. She was born in the latter half of the eighteenth century.
16. In the latter stages of the fight he began to tire.
17. The area was resettled in the latter half of the century.
18. The people may safely be trusted to hear everything true and false, and to form a correct judgment,Were it fall to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers of newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.
19. There are only two powers in the world, the sword and the pen; and in the end the former is always conquered by the latter.
19. Wish you can benefit from our online sentence dictionary and make progress day by day!
20. Where unemployment and crime are high, it can be assumed that the latter is due to the former.
21. The exercises can be fun and a good warm-up for the latter part of the programme.
22. Many support the former alternative, but personally I favour the latter .
23. Building of the new library should begin in the latter part of next year.
24. Teacher, who educate children, deserve more honor than parents, who merely gave them birth; for the latter provided more life, while the former ensure a good life.
25. One can travel there by ship or plane. Most people choose the latter.
26. The town has a concert hall and two theatres. The latter were both built in the 1950s.
27. She offered me more money or a car and I chose the latter.
28. He compared the achievements of the British and the French during 1916 and concluded that the latter were better all around.
29. There are the people who speak after they think and the people who think while they're speaking. Mike definitely belongs in the latter category.
30. The windows would probably have been crafted in the latter part of the Middle Ages.
More similar words: matter, scatter, battery, pattern, no matter, a matter of, as a matter of fact, attend, attend to, attention, attendance, letter, better, mutter, pay attention to, butterfly, short-term, later, sooner or later, get the better of, at that time, cigarette, committee, at that, cattle, attach, attack, late, flat, at times.