Synonym: channel, ditch, entrenchment, fortification, trench. Similar words: moaning, boat, goat, float, loathe, throat, bloated, scapegoat. Meaning: [məʊt] n. ditch dug as a fortification and usually filled with water.
Random good picture Not show
1) They built a moat to encompass the castle.
2) The castle had a deep moat which emptied into the lake.
3) The bridge, which spans the moat, is 140 feet long and 30 feet wide.
4) It was surrounded by a 100-foot-wide moat, crossed by causeways lined by statues of soldiers and elephants.
5) The far end of his cell faced the moat, where executions took place.
6) As you stare across the lily covered moat to its fairytale towers you instinctively know why.
7) Behind its moat and curtain walls the castle had a small garden with a turret at each end of it.
8) To the south-west, a deep moat, spanned by a drawbridge, completed defences.
9) But you have to remember that when moat people voice an opinion they do it from their own perspective.
10) During the close season in 1974 a dry moat had been constructed and new barriers installed.
11) Moat of the students sign out on Saturday.
12) Boys in the boat bought buoys in the moat.
13) Why is she digging a moat around her house?
14) Several dark mat boats were scattered on the moat.
15) Outside the old city moat,(http://sentencedict.com/moat.html) Yi Zhang deep water.
16) Earlier structures had central keeps surrounded by walls and moat.
17) On the north-east corner is the cellar, complete with winter bee boles and a drainage channel out to the moat.
18) There was a narrow bridge across a gap that was more ravine than moat.
19) But, before she could shoot, Rupert jumped over the side of the bridge, and down into the moat below.
20) The drawbridge was raised, of course, but it was a narrow moat.
21) Then King Edward I had it fortified with walls and a moat.
22) The whole spreading fortress was surrounded not just by a moat, but by a deep artificial lake.
23) The mounds are clearly distinguishable and surrounded by the remains of a moat which still retains water.
24) The new north front was built rising directly from the moat.
25) No one spoke of it but it was there, like a little moat between us, widening each day.
26) For about ten minutes everything was quiet, but suddenly I heard a noise on my side of the moat.
27) Silently, he went down into the water and swam across the moat.
28) I ran out on to the bridge and jumped down into the moat.
29) It was ringed by a curtain wall protected by a moat spanned by a wooden drawbridge.
30) Heads turning away to shun the reflected glare from the frozen moat.