Synonym: Cuban sandwich, Hero, Hero of Alexandria, Heron, Italian sandwich, bomber, champion, fighter, grinder, hero sandwich, hoagie, hoagy, paladin, poor boy, sub, submarine, submarine sandwich, torpedo, wedge, zep. Similar words: erode, on the road, numerous, generous, border on, come round, a number of, take the road. Meaning: ['hɪrəʊ /'hɪər] n. 1. a man distinguished by exceptional courage and nobility and strength 2. the principal character in a play or movie or novel or poem 3. someone who fights for a cause 4. Greek mathematician and inventor who devised a way to determine the area of a triangle and who described various mechanical devices (first century) 5. (classical mythology) a being of great strength and courage celebrated for bold exploits; often the offspring of a mortal and a god 6. (Greek mythology) priestess of Aphrodite who killed herself when her lover Leander drowned while trying to swim the Hellespont to see her 7. a large sandwich made of a long crusty roll split lengthwise and filled with meats and cheese (and tomato and onion and lettuce and condiments); different names are used in different sections of the United States.
Random good picture Not show
4. Sometimes you have to be your own hero.
5. After all a hero is human.
6. The hero was feted wherever he went.
7. Danger did not daunt the hero.
8. Odysseus was a legendary Greek hero.
9. He has been called a swashbuckling Boys' Own hero.
9. Sentencedict.com is a online sentence dictionary, on which you can find good sentences for a large number of words.
10. They saluted the seated figure of the hero.
11. The hero of Doctor Zhivago dies in 1929.
12. The hero was killed in the final reel .
13. Everyone wants to be a hero, but no one wants to die.
14. England's World Cup hero is determined to play through the pain barrier.
15. In stories the doomed hero is usually saved at the last minute by some stroke of fortune, but almost always his sense of values is changed. he becomes more appreciative of the meaning of life and its permanent spiritual values. It hasoften been noted that those who live, or have lived, in the shadow of death bring a mellow sweetness to everything they do.
16. We prefer to die a hero, rather than live a slave.
17. Teenager Matt Brown is being hailed a hero for saving a young child from drowning.
18. The hero of the film finally finds his true self.
19. The hero, Danny, bears an uncanny resemblance to Kirk Douglas.
20. He's a real hero.
21. Kennedy's predecessor as president was the war hero Dwight Eisenhower.
22. The contemporary hero is one who stands out against the crowd to fulfil a personal destiny.
23. A hero risks his life to help others; a craven runs from the scene.
25. The country bestowed its highest medal on the war hero.
26. Crowds of peopl lined the streets to welcome their hero.
27. The film centres around the amorous adventures/exploits of its handsome hero.
28. He had dared to speak out against injustice, and overnight he became a national hero .
29. There is no insurmountable difficulty before a brave man ; it is in difficult circumstances that a hero distinguishes himself.
30. The boat races during the Dragon Boat Festival are traditional customs to attempts to rescue the patriotic poet Chu Yuan. Chu Yuan drowned on the fifth day of the fifth lunar month in 277 B.C. Chinese citizens now throw bamboo leaves filled with cooked rice into the water. Therefore the fish could eat the rice rather than the hero poet. This later on turned into the custom of eating tzungtzu and rice dumplings.
More similar words: erode, on the road, numerous, generous, border on, come round, a number of, take the road, a matter of, any number of, cholesterol, obstreperous, sooner or later, to the number of, as a matter of fact, a large number of, get the better of.