Random good picture Not show
1. This slang expression was reportedly derived from Canadian Tire trademarks.
2. But etymonline offers two other possibilities, a slang expression "fire a slug" that used to mean take a drink, or from Irish slog that meant swallow.
3. The OED reports that this sense fed a slang expression where to beef someone was to knock them down; showing first in writing in 1926.
4. Thus, San Francisco rapper E-40's call for listeners to "get hyphy" (go crazy) may be heard as "get high fee" (be charged a lot of money) by those who don't know that regional slang expression.
5. The term 'The Big Apple' was coined by touring jazz musicians of the 1930s who used the slang expression 'apple' for any town or city.
6. The teacher hauled him up for using such a slang expression in an essay.
More similar words: expression, expressions, expressional, expressionless, expressionism, expressionist, gene expression, self-expression, expressionistic, beyond expression, facial expression, verbal expression, give expression to, literal expression, idiomatic expression, algebraic expression, numerical expression, equivalent expression, abstract expressionism, mathematical expression, expressive, expressiveness, expressible, inexpressive, expressivity, expressively, inexpressibly, inexpressible, expressive style, express emotion.