1. Money may be
the husk of many things, but not the kernel. It brings you food, but not appetite; medicine, but not health; acquaintances, but not friends; servants, but not loyalty; days of joy, but not peace of happiness.
2. He who allows himself to be
insulted, deserves to be.
3. The truth is cruel,but it can be
loved,and it makes free those who have loved it.
4. He who purposes to be
an author, should first be a student.
5. Better be
out of the world than out of fashion.
6. If a house be
divided against itself, that house cannot stand.
7. If doctors fail thee, be
these three thy doctors; rest, cheerful-ness, and moderate diet.
8. If you wish for peace, be
prepared for war.
9. Never put off till tomorrow what can [may] be
10. A full cup must be
11. Practical wisdom is only to be
learned in the school of experience.
12. Law makers should not be
13. Life can only be
understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.
14. It is better to be
alone than in ill company.
15. The tree must be
bent while it is young.
16. His heart cannot be
pure whose tongue is not clear.
17. No man loves his fetters, be
they made of gold.
18. Nothing to be
got without pains but poverty.sentence dictionary
19. If time be
of all things the most precious, wasting of time must be the greatest prodigality.
20. For a cultivated man to be
ignorant of foreign languages is a great inconveniece.
21. There is much to be
said on both sides.
22. A friend without faults will never be
23. Lost wealth can be
replaced by industry, lost knowledge by study, lost health by temperance or medicine, but lost time is gone for ever.
24. Thy friend has a friend and thy friend's friend has a friend so be
25. If ifs and ands were pots and pans there'd be
no work for tinkers.
26. We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be
. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing-grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
27. True friendship is like sound health, the value of it is seldom known until it be
lost. Charles Caleb Colton
28. I intend no modification of my hope...expressed personal wish that all men everywhere could be
29. True friendship is like sound health, the value of which is seldom known until it be
30. I don'nt know who my grandfather was. I' m much more concerned to know what his grandson will be